I regularly make Tonkatsu with curry for my OH and the breadcrumbs always look so crispy and tasty that I felt like I was missing out. Hence this tofu katsu recipe and to be honest it works really well with crispy crumbs and firm juicy tofu inside. As you can see from the picture I served mine with rice and japanese curried vegetables using Golden Curry roux mix for ease. You could try making your own curry sauce following a recipe such as this lovely one from no recipes or this one from just hungry and I am sure that you could use rice flour instead of wheat flour to thicken if you wanted it gluten free. Alternatively serve over noodles, with mashed potato and vegetables or in a sandwich with lettuce and tartar sauce.
You could make this gluten free either by using ready made gluten free breadcrumbs which are sometimes available or by making your own. Luckily the dry texture of shop bought gluten free rolls may make for a miserable sandwich but are perfect for breadcrumbs. I just rip a bread roll up into the food processor and pulse it until I have fine crumbs. Spread these crumbs on a baking sheet and bake in a hot oven until crispy (normally takes 5-10 mins at 200 degrees for me). Allow to cool and use as you would normal bread crumbs.
The ingredients I have used are approximate and you may find you need more flour or breadcrumbs to cover your tofu pieces. Feel free to season your tofu with what ever you have to hand or even marinade it in your favourite marinade.
Katsu Tofu (Serves 2)
Options -can be gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy free
350g Firm Tofu
1 egg or for vegans -1tbsp soymilk with 1tsp oil and 2tsp cornflour mixed together.
1 heaped tbsp cornflour or potato flour
3-4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs (or see above for gluten free breadcrumbs)
2-4 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2tsp black pepper
1tsp black sesame seeds
1tsp seaweed seasoning (aonori)
sprinkle of salt
- Pat dry your tofu and gentle squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Slice into thin slabs. My block of tofu cut into 4 thin pieces.
- Sprinkle with seasoning on both side or leave to soak for 20 mins in your favourite marinade.
- Line up cornflour, egg (or soymilk mix) and breadcrumbs in seperate plates bowls.
- First dip the tofu in the cornflour and cover it all over with a light coating of breadcrumbs
- Next dip the tofu into the egg (or soymilk mix) so that is sticky all over.
- Now roll the tofu in breadcrumbs ensuring the whole thing is covered in an nice even layer of breadcrumbs. Repeat for all pieces of tofu.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in an non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once oil is hot add the breaded tofu pieces which should sizzle on adding to the pan. Add more oil if pan starts to dry out. Cook on both sides for approximately 5-7mins until golden brown. Serve immediately.
|Three tofu pieces ready to be breaded and one breaded one waiting to be fried|