This pudding is basically strawberries marinated with sugar and black pepper and sandwiched between two thin lemony sponges. This is a real summery dish which makes me think of bbqs and sunny afternoons in the park. Serve with cream or a dairy free cream substitute. If you have a thick cream you could mix the strawberries with it before sandwiching between the sponges. Now all you need is a sunny day with beautiful blue skies and a gentle breeze to chase the clouds and mental cobwebs away.In fact I think I have posted this a month too early and I should have waited for Wimbledon to start before sharing this recipe.
Lemon Pudding with Black Pepper Strawberries (Serves 4)Vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free
For the sponge:
50g Dairy free margarine
50g Rice flour
1 tsp Gluten free baking powder
100ml Soya milk
2 eggs, separated
Juice of 2 small lemons
Rind of 1 Lemon
For the filling:
300g Fresh strawberries
A few grinds of fresh black pepper
Cream or cream substitute, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease a roasting tin that is approximately 10"x7"(25cmx18cm).
- In a bowl cream together the margarine, sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder and lemon rind. Mix and then add the soya milk and lemon juice and stir.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold in the egg whites to the batter mix. Pour the mixture into the roasting tin. Place in the oven for 20mins or until the sponge is set.
- In the mean time make the strawberry filling. Slice the strawberries into small pieces (I cut mine into 8ths). In a bowl add the strawberries, sugar and black pepper. Leave the ingredients to infuse together at room temperate.
- Once the sponge is cooked allow to cool then slice into 8 equal pieces. To assemble lay one of the slices on a plate and spoon the strawberry mixture onto the sponge. If using the thick cream you can add a dollop on top of the strawberry mix then top with the sponge, otherwise just top with the second sponge.