Thursday, November 3, 2011

Egg and Avocado Salad

Once again I find myself apologising for a extended absence from blogging. I have been feeling rather ill for the last couple of weeks after a bout of stomach flu. It has been a real eye opener to have no appetite and no desire to eat or cook anything. Thank goodness for potato waffles, ginger snaps and litres of ginger beer. Thankfully, I am feeling almost back to normal and can now look at and think about food. I am looking forward to sharing among other things some gluten and dairy free desserts including a Christmas pudding ready for stir up Sunday, a cordial for mulled wine and some interesting veggie dishes that make good use of winter varieties. However, to start November off here is salad recipe that is perfect for a light lunch of supper.

I was a late comer to the joys of avocados. I really couldn't understand what all the fuss was about until I tried this dish for the first time. I only ate it to be polite but after that first bite it wasn't difficult to eat everything on my plate. I have only tweaked this recipe a little bit but credit is due to my boyfriend's mum. I like to serve this salad with crusty bread or toast but you could use it like you would any egg salad. Once over my initial dislike for avocados I realised what a versatile fruit it is suited to both sweet and savoury. I love it in a salad of cucumber, tomato, onion, lime and cilantro or mashed with garlic, basil, lemon and black pepper for a quick pasta sauce and as a dessert you cannot beat mashed avocado with a spoonful of dark brown or muscavado sugar mixed in.




Egg and Avocado Salad   (Serves 2)
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Ingredients
1 Ripe avocado
2 Eggs  
1/2tbs Lemon juice
2-4 tbs Mayonnaise  (gluten free and dairy free as required)
A good dash of yellow curry powder
1tsp Mango chutney or 1/2 tsp apricot jam (optional)

Method
  • In a pan place your eggs and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 6-7 mins. Once cooked remove and run under a cold tap and then place in a bowl of cold water to cool. Once cool, peel off the shell by cracking all over, (tip- this is much easier to do on old eggs).  Cut each egg into thin slices.
  •  Slice your avocado in half and remove the stone with a knife and then peel back the skin. Slice into thin slices. Drizzle the lemon juice over the avocado slices, this will prevent them going brown in the air. Arrange the avocado and egg slices on a plate.
  • To make the sauce mix the mayo, chutney and curry powder to taste and spoon over the avocados and egg slices. Serve with bread or crackers, preferably at room temperature.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment