Monday, April 4, 2011

Happy Mummys' Day Gluten Free Jam Thumbprints

Yesterday it was Mothers Day in the UK and I am sure there were lots of kids bringing their deserving mummys breakfast in bed. This set me to thinking about the importance of families in teaching children invaluable life lessons such as cooking. I was always encouraged to help with the cooking at home and this is one life skill that continues to served me well. My mum cooked with me from an early age and has instilled a love of all things foodie. Even if the memories of my mum making Ellie Ice Cream named after the Jersey cow next door are very faint I know that these formative years of being fed yummy, fresh food has had an impact on my palate even today. A recipe that sticks in my mind is Jam Thumbprints, a buttery jam filled biscuit that even small children can help to make even if it is only to help make the thumbprint middles. This is one recipe that my mum made with me as a small child and as a small gesture to my lovely mum who is across the other side of the world I thought I would try to make a gluten free version of this simple but delightful little biscuit. Love you Mum!




Jam Thumbprints (Makes around 15 biscuits)
Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian & Dairy Free

Ingredients
1 cup dairy free & gluten free margarine
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Ground Almonds
1/2 cup Potato flour
1/2 cup Gram flour
1/2 cup Rice flour
1/2tsp Vanilla essence
1 1/2 tbsp Fruit jam/jelly (I used apricot) or how about my lemon & orange curd

Method
  • In a large bowl mix the sugar and margarine and vanilla essence together until well mixed. Add the flours in one at a time to ensure it is all well combined.
  • Chill mixture in the fridge for at least half an hour to make it easier to work the dough. If you do not have time to chill then the dough still makes a nice tasting cookie but you will have to drop the dough onto the sheet with a teaspoon and this will result in a slightly ugly little biscuit with a cracked edges.
  • Preheat the oven to 180degrees C/350degreesF/gas mark 4. Grease and line a baking tray with parchment paper. 
  • Once the mixture is chilled take a teaspoon to grab a lump of dough and roll on your hands to make a ball. Place this ball on the baking sheet and gently flatten. Use the end of your thumb to make a dent in the middle. Spoon a small bit of jam, around 1/4 tsp, into the well in the centre.
Thumbprinted and ready for the jam
  • Bake in the oven for 20-25mins. These biscuits do not brown but they are ready when still slightly soft to the touch and starting to dry around the edges. They harden as they cool so will be too dry if you bake them until they are solid. Once cooked allow to cool and store in an airtight container where they will keep for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment