I miss smile inducing mediteranean and middle eastern food with simple flavours that pack a punch. Don't get me wrong, Singapore has an amazing variety of food and a diversity of ingredients that isn't always avaliable in the UK but sometimes I just fancy something different. Couple this with a few perfectly ripe oranges soon to be a squashy fuzzy mess and I found myself looking for a orange polenta cake recipe. This cake really does brighten up overcast days with its cheerful golden insides. It is gluten free and makes a moist dense cake that really can be served as warm as a pudding or cold as a cake. Its texture is a little bit different with a crust that has a bit of crunch.
Orange and Cardamon Polenta Cake (Serves 8 )
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
200g Dairy free margarine (or butter if dairy is fine for you)
150g Sugar (I used golden granulated)
200g Ground almonds
3 Large eggs
10 cardamon pods
1tsp Baking powder
Juice and zest of 2 oranges
For the topping
Juice of one lemon and 2 oranges
2tbsp Honey or sugar
4 Cardamon pods
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm/8" cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl add the margarine and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs to the sugar and margarine mixture. Once the eggs have been combined add the ground almonds and stir well.
- Take the cardamon pods and split open to reveal the little black seeds. Crush these seeds and add to the mixture.
- Next add the polenta and baking powder and stir.
- Add in the juice and zest of the two oranges to create a wet mixture and give one last stir to ensure it is all well mixed.
- Pour mixture into the greased and lined cake tin.
- Bake in oven for around 1hour 20 mins or until the cake is brown on top and a skewer comes away clean when inserted into the cake's middle.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool and make the topping.
- In a small saucepan add the lemon and orange juice, honey or sugar and 4 split cardamon pods. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Make insertions with a skewer into the top of the cake and pour fruit juice syrup you just made over the top of the cake. Allow to soak in before serving.
|Crisp crust and golden inside|