Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Breakfast Polenta

The name says it all really. I had been enjoying fried hash potatoes with eggs for brunch over the last week, as I rarely feel like eating as soon as I get up and have taken to combining two meals in one. On Sunday morning though, I found we were out of potatoes plus I rarely have bread in the house so toast was off the menu. But whilst I was rummaging around in the cupboard I came across some polenta that I had left over from the orange & cardamon cake I made a while back. Hence this breakfast polenta recipe came about. For something that happened accidentally this dish is a keeper. I am planning on adding some spinach next time and serving it with some asparagus and a runny poached egg- yum! I will also have to give a sweet version a try, may be with honey, almond and apricot.


Breakfast Polenta (Makes one big serving or two small servings)
Vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free 

Ingredients
75g/2.5oz/ or about 1/2 cup Polenta
1tbs vegan margarine or olive oil
300ml/ 10.5floz/ 1 1/3rd cups Gluten free and vegan vegetable stock 
1tbs Scallions/ spring onions, sliced
1tbs Sweet green pepper, finely chopped
Handful  cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2tbs Fresh basil, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Method
  • I a medium sized pan/pot add the polenta and 200ml of the stock and heat over a low heat. In a separate pot fry the scallions, green pepper and tomatoes in the 1 tbs of oil/margarine and cook until browned and tender. 
  • Keep stirring the polenta to prevent it sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan. The mixture should start to thicken. Once the polenta starts coming away from the sides of the pan as you stir, add the remaining stock. Add the cooked vegetables and fresh basil. Allow to bubble away for 5 mins until it has thickened again and comes away from the edges of the pan. Taste and season with salt and pepper if required. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment