Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vegetarian Kimchi Fried Rice

Having just come back from an enjoyable long weekend away in Hanoi and Halong Bay I was  excited about trying to make some classic Vietnamese dishes suitable for vegetarians and if they were good enough, posting them on this blog. But... I have a cold and the my brain is a little befuddled, I didn't even manage to get around the supermarket without forgetting where I left my basket so trying new recipes was off the cards. Instead I made Kimchi fried rice, my go to dish when I have a cold. Kimchi, fermented vegetables in chilli and garlic, is often claimed to have health benefits and boost the immune system and I always try to have some when I have a cold along with a bowl of miso soup. Not sure if it works but if nothing else this dish is tasty for your jaded, cold suppressed taste buds and is very easy to make.  I like mine topped with a fried egg but vegans can omit and if they want some additional protein can use cubed tofu in with the vegetables. Minced pork, waxed sausages or prawns are traditionally added to this dish so meat eaters can throw a handful of meat in as well.  All I need now is to cosy up on the sofa and watch a few Korean soap operas.


Vegetarian Kimchi Fried Rice (Serves 2)
Can be vegan. vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, meat option
Ingredients
200g Cooked Rice (day old is best) I used brown rice
75g Vegetarian kimchi, roughly chopped (ensure there is no fish or shrimp products used)
1 Small carrot,  finely cubed 
1/4 Green pepper, finely cubed
3 Spring onions/scallions, chopped finely
1tbs Vegetable oil
1 tsp Crushed garlic
1tsp Finely chopped fresh ginger
Handful bean sprouts
1 tsp Sesame oil
Gluten free tamari of soya sauce, to taste
1/2tsp Ground white pepper
Optional Extras:
2 Eggs
or vegans can substitute 50g firm tofu instead
or Handful cooked mince pork, shrimp or bacon for the carnivores

Method
  • In a frying pan add the vegetable oil and heat over a medium temperature. Add the carrot, green pepper and spring onion and saute for a few minutes. Once they are starting to brown add the garlic, ginger and tofu (optional) or meat (optional). Once these are fragrant add the rice and stir to ensure that any clumps of rice are broken up. Add the kimchi and bean sprouts and fry for another few minutes. Add the sesame oil, tamari and white pepper and taste. 
  • The eggs can be served in what every way you prefer e.g. scrambled, poached or fried and used to top the rice.
  • Serve the rice topped with the egg and can also be served with  sides of cucumber, extra kimchi and miso soup.

6 comments:

  1. I love Kimchi fried rice but I haven't had the chance to make it myself yet. This looks so good. I love all the photos too. Can't wait to try this...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Mai. It took all my will power to take all the photos I needed of this dish before I devoured it! I had a look at your blog and cannot wait to try your mint choc chip cookie recipe- yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are making me hungry...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks @Jun and @annie56 for taking the time to leave a comment. It is always good to get feedback, both positive and negative, so that I can try to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is the way to enjoy some kimchi!

    ReplyDelete