I have had a cauliflower sitting in the fridge for over week now and I have been at a loss as to what to do with it until today when I needed a warming lunch. I added some ground almonds as I was worried that the soup might be a little thin and unsatisfying without any dairy or potatoes. The nuts add a nice richness and make this a really filling soup. I thought of adding some safffron after reading an interesting recipe for a cauliflower and saffron pasta sauce from Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook, (a book which I really love and which has some great recipes in by the way). So next time you are wanting something different to do with cauliflower try this rich and velvety soup.
Cauliflower, Almond & Saffron Soup (Serves 2)
Vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free
550g/19oz/5cups Cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 Medium onion, sliced (approx. 100g/3.5oz/1cup)
1-2tbs Olive oil
3-4tbs Ground almonds
Large pinch of Saffron
750ml/26floz/3cups Good quality vegetable stock (vegan, dairy free and gluten free as required)
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil and toasted almonds for garnish
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium low heat and add the sliced onion and cauliflower and saute until golden brown, stir occassionally.
- Whilst the cauliflower and onion are cooking add the saffron to the warm vegetable stock and allow the saffron to infuse.
- Once the cauliflower and onion have browned add the ground almond and toast for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer until the cauliflower is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending until smooth. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil and toasted almonds.