Ok so this is my first purely non vegetarian recipe where I am not providing a meatless version. However, I promise that the next recipe that I do will be vegan just to make up for this one. Non meat eaters should look away now!
I made this fish pie for J as he used to love a classic fish pie when he could eat dairy but a rich white sauce with a cheesy potato topping really isn't going to cut it in these dairy free days. So I made this fish pie with a veggie packed wine and herb sauce and topped it with sweet potato instead which really isn't too bad and J never feels like he is missing out. Well it isn't as rich as a classic fish pie but is a little bit healthier and lighter.
Dairy Free Sweet Potato Topped Fish Pie
Dairy free & Meat version
400g/14oz/ 1 2/3cup Fish including one type smoked white fish, chopped into chunks (I used equal amounts of salmon, cod and smoked haddock)
1tbs Olive oil
50g/2oz/1/2 cup Leek, washed and sliced
50g/2oz/1/2 cup Baby corn or sweetcorn, sliced
60g/2oz/2 cup Spinach, washed
1-2tbs Fresh tarragon or parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
200ml White wine
Black pepper to taste
400g/14oz/2.5 cups Sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1tbs Margarine or olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C/ 350F/gas mark 4.
- Add the sweet potato cubes to a pan of boiling water and simmer until tender. Then mash with the oil and season to taste.
- In the meantime add the oil and leek to a pan and heat over a medium heat until starting to soften.
- Add the cornflour, fish and corn and white wine and simmer over a low heat stirring infrequently to prevent the fish breaking up. Once the fish is cooked through and the sauce has started to thicken add the spinach, lemon zest and herbs & black pepper.
- Transfer the filling to an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed sweet potato. Bake until browned on top. Serve immediately.
- It will freeze well as long as the fish you are using hasn't been frozen before. I freeze it in portion sized bags and defrost overnight and microwave to reheat for a quick meal for J.