Having posted a number of gluten free desserts I have realised that most of them are not suitable for vegans. I thought it was time that I rectified this by providing a recipe that is yummy and vegan. I haven't been able to make a satisfactory vegan and gluten free recipe as I find an egg very helpful to bind it altogether. I am going to have a go with egg replacer and hopefully I will be able to post a vegan and gluten free cookie recipe in the near future.
This is a great basic cookie recipe (or biscuit as we call them in the UK) which can be whipped up in a jiffy for any unexpected guests or just to help cure midnight munchies. However, I should probably warn everyone that once you have learnt how easy and quick it is to make these biscuits from store cupboard standbys there will be nothing to stop you fulfilling your cravings within half an hour. Consider yourself warned and I accept no responsibilty for the impact this may have on your waistline!
Vegan Chocolate Fork Cookies (Makes around 12 biscuits)
Vegan, vegetarian & dairy free
100g/4oz Vegan/Dairy free margarine
120g//4 1/2oz Self Raising Flour
15g/1/2oz Cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease a large baking tray.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar into the margarine with a spoon. Add the flour and cocoa and mix in.
- Bring the dough together, using your hands if needed.
- Break off walnut sized pieces of dough to make around 12 biscuits and roll into a ball. Place these on the lightly greased baking tray and flatten them out using a wet fork.
- Bake in the oven for around 15-20 mins until lightly browned. Remove them from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container and use within a couple of days. Yummy served with a cold glass of hemp or almond milk.