My mum and dad have had a very productive summer in the allotment and my mum has been busy preserving some of their produce. These yummy spiced red onions are made from a Use Real Butter recipe which is amazing. They have a much more interesting taste than the often ridiculously sharp large pickled onions you get in store. I think jars of this would make a wonderful present and it is a great way to use up a glut of red onions. I also made some 'pickled beetroots' which are marinaded in a sweet spicy vinaigrette as I didn't want to just repost someone elses recipe although if just one more person tries these onions because of me it will definitely be worth my time posting this. Both these recipes are great for impatient people like myself as both can be eaten as soon as they are made. These recipes are wonderful with bread and cheese or cold meat.
Spiced Pickled Onion (Makes a few small jars)Vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free
450g/ 1lb Red onions
600ml/21floz/1 1/2cup White vinegar
1/2 Cinnamon stick
1 Bay leaf, dried or fresh
1 Star anise
1/2tsp Dried chilli flakes
2 slices of Ginger
- Peel the onions and trim the ends off. Cut the onions into thin slices. This will take a little while so rope someone in to help.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and then blanch the sliced onions for around 2 minutes. Drain off the water and remove the blanched onions.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and spices to the pan and bring to the boil then simmer gentley for 5 mins to dissolve the sugar and release some of the fragrance of the spices into the vinegar.
- After 5 mins add the drained, blanched onions and simmer for a further minute or two.
- Remove mixture from the heat and pour into clean, sterilised jars with lids and seal. Allow to cool and then store in the refridgerator where they will keep for a few weeks at least (if they last that long that is).
Beetroot Pickled in Sweet & Spicy Vinagrette (makes a small jar or two)Vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free
This recipe can be tailored to your required quantity and taste and so these measurements are approximate
2-3 Small beetroot, whole and unpeeled
60ml/ 2floz/1/4cup Apple cider vinegar
1-3tsp Honey or brown sugar for vegans
1-2tbs Olive Oil
- Trim the roots off the beetroot and wash. Place the whole beetroot in a pan and bring to the boil and simmer for 1/2hr or until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool the skins will slip off the beetroot when rubbed. Use rubber gloves to ensure you don't get purple hands.
- Once the beetroot is peeled cut into thin slices. Place in sealable container or jar and add the vinegar to cover and the honey, tabasco and oil. Give a good shake in the container and make sure all the beetroot slices are covered in the liquid. Store in the refridgerator where it will keep for a week or two.