Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Parsnip & Potato Rosti with Spinach, Asparagus, Poached Egg and Foaming Hollandaise

Wow. Life has really been getting in the way of stuff lately. I recently started a new job with a pretty long commute that has been leaving me rather zombie like in the evenings. Cooking has become a little bit of a chore which is never good. But with Valentines Day on the way it has reminded me how I enjoy cooking yummy things for the people I love. Here is my first Valentines recipe that is ideal for breakfast/brunch in bed or as an appetizer or light supper.



Parsnip & Potato Rosti with Spinach, Asparagus, Poached Egg and Foaming Hollandaise (Serves 4)
Vegetarian, dairy free and gluten free

Ingredients
For the rosti:
400g/14oz Floury potato, peeled
200g/7oz Parsnip, peeled
2tbs  Chopped fresh chives
Salt & black  pepper
2tbs Oil
To serve for each person use:
1 Egg
1 Large handful of spinach
3-4 Spears of asparagus
1-2tbs Foaming hollandaise sauce

Method
  • Grate the potato and parsnip into a bowl and then add the chives and salt and freshly black pepper.
  • Heat the oil in a pan and form the rosti mixture into balls and then flatten them out in the pan. Cook over a medium pan and heat on one side for 5 minutes then, once golden brown flip to the other side and cook for a further 5 minutes. 
  • In the meantime poach the eggs in a pan using this recipe. I like to steam my asparagus in the microwave. I add a small amount of water to a microwavable bowl then place the asparagus spears tip up around the edge of the bowl. Microwave on full power for around 5-8 minutes until tender. I find this stops the tips getting over cooked. To cook the spinach I place on a plate cover with plastic wrap or place in a container with a lid and microwave for a minute so that it starts to wilt. 
  • To assemble place a rosti on a plate, then lay on the asparagus spears and top with spinach, poached egg and hollandaise.


No comments:

Post a Comment