My OH cannot eat dairy and one of the things he misses is ice cream. After eating at VeganBurg he couldn't resist trying their brown rice chocolate ice cream which he declared was divine and that it tasted just how he remembered it should. This set me to thinking about how easy it would be to create something similar at home using some of his favourite flavours. Hence this recipe came about.
You can add different flavours to the basic recipe although I think you need quite strong flavours to mask the mild beany taste from the tofu. There is vegan white chocolate out there otherwise you could make your own like bittersweet's recipe. This version is also gluten free.
If you prefer you can add less milk to this mixture and it makes a moussy/pudding which I only found out because I couldn't wait to try this before I froze it!
White Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Creamdairy free, gluten free, vegan
150g Silken Tofu
100g Vegan white chocolate chips
100ml soy or rice milk
1/2 tablespoon syrup or sugar (optional)
Couple drops vanilla essence (optional)
- Gently melt the chocolate and tablespoon of dairy free milk, either in the microwave at low temperature or a saucepan. Stir regularly and take off the heat as soon as it has melted and allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender add tofu, strawberries and remaining dairy free milk and blend. Then slowly add the white chocolate and syrup and vanilla essence to taste. Blend again.
- Pour mixture into a freezable container or ice cream maker and freeze to desired consistency.
- If not using an ice cream maker then to get the best texture it is advisable to stir the mixture every 30mins until set. I found it was still acceptable even if not stirred.
- For a more soft scoop texture free in smaller containers and take out of freezer, allow to melt a little then reblend the mixture.