Friday, July 1, 2011

Potato, Pea and Rosemary Soup

I love frozen peas. I regularly eat them straight from the freezer as a snack. Slightly weird, I know, but don't knock it until you try it. The thing that I really like about this soup is that it reminds me of a roast dinner but is a lighter and summery way to get these flavors. I picked rosemary as the herb for this purely because I had it in my fridge but you could use a handful of mint, add at the end of cooking for a fresher and zesty soup. This soup has only a subtle pea taste that adds a sweetness to the soup. If you would rather have a stronger pea taste then reduce the potatoes by 100g and replace with 150g peas.


Potato, Pea & Rosemary Soup (Serves 2)
vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free

Ingredients
2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks (around 400g/14oz/2.5 cups)
1 Onion, finely sliced
1tbs Dairy & gluten free margarine (or butter)
2tsp Fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
750ml/ 26floz/3 cups Vegetable stock
125g/4.5oz/1 cup Frozen peas
Freshly ground black pepper

Method
  • In a pot, melt the margarine over a low heat and add the onion. Allow the onions to soften and then add the potatoes and allow to brown slightly. Once the potatoes and onion are starting to brown add the vegetable stock, peas and rosemary. 
  • Allow the soup to simmer over a low heat until the potatoes are cooked through. Season with a good grind or two of black pepper and then remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. 
  • Once the soup has cooled a little it can be pureed in a blender or food processor. Be careful of any steam or hot soup splatters when doing this.
  • If you like a chunkier soup you can remove some of the peas and potatoes before blending and then stir them back in before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks delicious! Simple but so yummy. I know my kids love eating frozen peas it's the perfect snack :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi. Awesome that your kids like frozen peas too. I am thinking that I might need to experiment with a savory pea popsicle! Not sure if it would be yum or yuck though :)

    ReplyDelete